Saturday 16 July 2011

Carrot and Feta Muffins


I am an almost vegetarian. I love cooking with vegetables and, here in Copenhagen, buying meat is expensive so generally I just don’t. Sometime, earlier this year, I went on a search for different ways to use eggs, tofu, nuts and so on. This recipe is one of my best finds. And gives me another excuse to bake. These are really more like baby quiches than proper savoury muffins and as my housemate Maria says, “are made up of all good things.” We make a batch and they disappear!

This recipe is an adaption of an adaption. I found the recipe on Heidi Swanson’s blog 101 CookbooksHer recipe is adapted from Rose Elliot’s version, found in her cookbook Vegetarian Supercook.

The original recipe doesn’t call for any vegetables but I like using carrots. Zucchini (salted and drained), beetroot or finely chopped cooked cauliflower could also work. Heidi lists some great options in her recipe called Cottage Cheese Muffins.

You can easily grind your own almonds in a food processor – you want the consistency of flour so make sure to stop before it turns into almond butter. I always use a wholemeal spelt or rye flour however unbleached all-purpose flour would also work.

I like these best heated in the morning, when I am running out the door with no time for something proper. 




Carrot and Feta Muffins

Makes 12

1 cup plain cottage cheese
¼ cup flour
1 cup almonds, very finely ground
1 teaspoon baking powder

¾ cup grated carrot
¼ cup mint/basil/parsley, chopped
½ cup spring onions, chopped – save some for the topping
¼ cup water
4 eggs, lightly beaten
¾ cup feta, chopped or crumbled into chunks
pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper

topping: (optional)
½ cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
3 tablespoons of extra spring onions
½ teaspoon of chilli flakes
splash of olive oil

Preheat oven to 200C degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin tray with baking paper that has been greased with a little olive oil. I always just add them one by one as I fill each cup with mixture, otherwise they don’t hold. I have tried these with muffin cup liners but they seem to stick.

Put the cottage cheese into a bowl with the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, grated carrot, mint, spring onions, water and eggs. Season and mix all together. Add the feta and mix again gently.

Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups until around ¾ full, scatter with the topping and bake for 30 - 40 minutes, or until, set, risen, and golden brown.

Serve hot or at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. Hey. Smooch I've just had dinner with jacquie Michael agatha and Mitch in Sydney veryblovelyand I'm showing thm your blog.

    It's looking good

    HELLO Goddaughter. You will notice silence from your godfather was deemed the most appropriate guidance offered. I have waited till this moment to disclose this. I know that you are ready now and I will be able to elaborate extensively at your leisure over the years to come. How exciting will that be! FOrtunately over these important years of silence from me, I Have become extensively wiser and this will only increase over the years to come. Eventually your wisdom shall encroach upon mine and our paths will truly overlap. This notice will spontaneously vaporize when you press delete. Xx

    ReplyDelete