Wednesday 13 July 2011

Spinach//Tofu//Bærsymfoni Smoothie



























I make this smoothie all the time. It is earthy, filling and fresh all at once. And, yeah, it is healthy but more importantly, it tastes wonderful. You don’t need a recipe to make a smoothie but I like the idea behind this one so I thought I would share.

It’s pretty simple really … spinach, tofu and berries all blended up. The original idea came via my Aunt Bronwen from New Zealand. Years ago, upon her instruction, Mum and I started adding tofu to our standard berry and banana breakfast smoothie. Back then, I was a proper vegetarian and it became a good way to ensure I was getting everything I needed.

The tofu acts a bit like yoghurt; it loosens things and ties it all together. You don’t notice it is there. A few months ago, I had added a handful of baby spinach. In a similar way to the tofu, it just disappeared into everything else. It is there, but someone else might not know it if you didn't tell them. If you are concerned about the spinach, add it a little at a time after everything else is blended. The longer this drink sits around the greener it gets. If you serve it straight away, it is a lovely dark purple colour. Personally, the thought of putting that much spinach into my body at the start of the day makes me a very happy girl!

There are many variations – for a creamier version add a banana, a little orange juice makes it tart and a dash of honey, agave or maple syrup will sweeten it. Just try as you go and add what you like.





























Spinach//Tofu//Bærsymfoni Smoothie

Serves 2

2 cups frozen berries (any kind you like, a mixture is always good)
2 - 3 cups baby spinach packed tightly (use more or less depending on how green you like it)
150 g silken tofu (always use silken and you can really add as much as you want)
1 - 2 cups of natural yoghurt

Throw this all together and blend.


No comments:

Post a Comment